Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Attack: (verb) take aggressive action against a place or enemy forces; oppose fiercely

"I have said for months that I would much rather be attacking Republicans, and attacking the problems of our country, because ultimately that's what I want to do as president."

-Sen. Hillary Clinton (D), December 2007

“We are not a collection of red states or blue states, we are the United States...”

-Sen. Barack Obama (D), January 2008

Recently, the former Presidential contender and current Massachusetts Senator, John Kerry personally sent me an e-mail. As I read on, I was anxious to find a veneer of personal trickery, but it appeared sincere. After a couple of cocktails, I thought to myself, "Okay, either this occurred because I'm on a damn mailing list, or this jackball has mistaken me for another dope smoking Motel Martin."

The Kerry letter was poignant. In summary, he paralleled his Swiftboat, Willie Horton-esque political experience with that of the current events between the Obama and Clinton campaigns. Kerry goes on to ask all of us to engage in a national push back campaign against concerted attacks on Obama. That's actually one of the few things I can agree on with Kerry. My support for Obama is obvious, so the bias exists in that any challenge on the man will be a perception by me as an "attack." That aside, the opening quotes to this treatise, perhaps taken out of context, may provide insight into the character of both the candidates possibly highlighting who indeed holds the tendency to 'attack.'

Well, shit was going down in South Carolina. Yet, one of the most intriguing moments during the heated exchange between Hillary and Barack, came during a brief pause by Obama to address the national audience. He articulated that it is important to address the charges from the Clinton camp to demonstrate to Americans what type of leader he would be--a truthful and earnest one. Of course, that drew swift rebuke from Hillary, but the fact that he highlighted a seemingly heated personal exchange and turned it into an intellectual lecture on the value of the political sparring match between him and Clinton was fucking brilliant. The arguing did drag on, and he knew this, which made the comment to the audience translate into a couple more delegates and a couple more votes.

I guess Kerry would be proud; as well as Willie Horton for that matter. Horton, wherever you are, just know that a brother is running for President who won't exploit your past transgressions and will utilize his deft political instincts for quelling any bullshit that comes his way.

No comments: